Withouth much enthusiasm, I decided to do some lightpainting. Project lightpainting had actually been on the program some months ago, but when I thought up my projects, I hadn’t realised that in summer, it’s not dark until close to midnight. Not practical. For several months, an excess of light was a good excuse to delay lightpainting.
It seemed to me such a complicated project. Where do I find a room that is sufficiently dark even at night in the fall? There seem to be a street lights, equipment LEDs, passing traffic, and what have not just about everywhere. So much hassle. But well, you cann’t be postpone chores forever, so with healthy reluctance I decided to use the last two instax pictures that were still in a camera. Just to get it over with.
So I turned off all the lights, faced the camera to the back of the room, away from the street light, put it on a tripod and opend the shutter in the B-mode. With a bicycle light I drew some spirals. I didn’t expect anything to come out of it, just wanted to be able to say: tried it, didnt work. But to my amazement, I saw a very small light on the picture. Well, allright then, I used the last shot, moved my light a bit slower for more exposure. And lo and behold! A lightpainting! Not the most exciting one, but hey, so much more than I had expected.
Well, and then it actually became fun. I still didn’t really feel like going out looking for a nice location, or complex experimenting, but a bit of tinkering on a rainy Saturday afternoon is allright. And I always wanted to try lightstencils. This site tells you how to handle that, with much better example photos than my final result.
First, just some ordinary light paintings with my bicycle lights, to get in the mood.
As you can see, I decided to do my project with the digicam. Even though my digicam doesn’t have full manual settings (I used the fireworks setting), the advantage is that I have not lost heaps of expensive film to some half-assed experiments. That’s a big plus, because the light stencil I cobbled together needed some test runs before it gave an even slightly acceptable result. Kind of. My flash gives so much light that I had to paste more and more layers of paper behind my template, because it would otherwise become an overexposed spot instead of a recognizable figure. But eventually there was a picture to see.
I kept adding more layers of paper between test shots because the was still too much light.
My stencil is a bit on the small side, but when you zoom in, the bat is actually recognizable. In any event, it raises hope for a second version, which is bigger, and on another flash. This time, I used my standard Lomography flash, but that’s is a bit small and awkward to use in this setup. It also produces a huge amount of light. In addition, my stencil was not very light-tight at the back, which made my hand and the box in which the stencil visible.
Still, this result is so encouraging that I might actually build a bigger version for one of the other flashes in my collection. A good excuse to use those as well.
Allright, as a bonus here’s another instax picture. I ♥ film, after all.